Which Council?

Who is responsible for what?

When dealing with Councils it can often be quite difficult in determining whom to approach for what, and who exactly looks after what between County Councils, District Councils and Parish Councils.

The listing below is far from an exhaustive list, but it is designed to give you a starting point. Both Cannock Chase District Council and Staffordshire County Council websites for example also provide an A-Z of specific Council Services if you are looking for more detail.

Parish Council District Council County Council
Bus Shelters Set and collect Council Tax Education and Youth Employment
Public Benches Environmental Health Transport
Recreational Facilities Housing Benefit Social Services
Car Parks Planning Applications Some Planning Applications
Notice Boards Local Plans Strategic Local Plans
Funding emptying of dog bins Arts and Leisure Recreation, Arts and Museums
Grass Cutting Parish Council land Public Conveniences Roads, pavements and blocked drains
Viewing of Planning Applications Unclassified Roads Waste disposal
Celebratory Events Waste Collection Street lights and signs
Grants to help local organisations Tree Preservation Traffic Lights
Consultation on Neighbourhood Planning Waste collection & Recycling Footpaths